Do you constantly find the need to scratch your scalp? If you do, you might be one of the many people suffering from an itchy scalp and this might be caused by scalp irritations, product build-up, changes in weather and improper maintenance of the hair and scalp. Although minor dandruff problems can be avoided with a dandruff shampoo, some others sometimes experience the extreme whereby they scratch and scratch until their whole head begins to feel inflamed and tender to the touch. To avoid that from reoccurring, here are some tips for you to relieve your itchy scalp.
1. Use only natural and organic haircare products – Most commercial haircare products contain many harsh chemicals and ingredients such as silicones, parabens and sulfates which would further aggravate and dry out your scalp. Hence, use organic shampoo, conditioner and styling products to ensure that your scalp is protected and that its moisture is retained.
2. Shampoo with warm water, then rinse off with cold water – Rinsing off your shampoo and conditioner with cold water will help to close the cuticles of your hair and pores, which will avoid dirt or any harmful substances to get under your scalp. Your hair will also be much softer and shinier.
3. Don’t wash hair daily – Washing your hair daily can increase build-up on your scalp very quickly, which then irritates and dries the scalp out even more. Try washing once every two to three days and if you’re not used to it, do it gradually by slowly increasing the days without washing your hair after your scalp gets used to it. Your hair will look and feel healthier.
4. Don’t use hair dryer – The use of any heated tools on your hair and scalp should be avoided at all cost. Instead of using a hair dryer, use a towel to absorb the excess water and then let your hair air dry.
5. Use hair mask weekly – Treat your scalp with this moisturizing and nourishing mask. Simply mash and mix two bananas and one avocado then apply it to your scalp. Leave it on for half an hour and rinse thoroughly. You’ll feel the difference instantly!
6. Use apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammation properties that would help to kill bacteria and virus on your scalp. Rinse your scalp with water, then apply a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water directly to your scalp with some cotton balls. Leave it on for five minutes, then shampoo as usual.
7. Use baking soda – Mix the baking soda with water to form a paste, and then apply it on your scalp and leave it on for 10 minutes. Shampoo as usual.
8. Eat more Omega-3 fatty acids – Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for the body and can help to increase our health overall, especially in improving our hair and skin conditions. These fatty acids can be found in foods such as fish, flaxseed oil, avocados, walnuts, soy beans, tofu, sardines and grass-fed beef, so consume more of these foods!
9. Use coconut oil – Coconut oil has long been a remedy for various health issues and is extremely beneficial for the hair and skin. Twice a week, massage your scalp with coconut oil and leave it on for 10 minutes. After that, shampoo as usual. This would considerably reduce the itchy sensation on your scalp and improve the condition of your scalp.