On a recent girls night out, my girlfriends and I were discussing the likelihood of meeting future partners via online dating. That was when I first heard about Tinder and had my friend fill me in on everything about this intriguing app. Sure, it does seem a little tacky and borderline loser-ish, but I couldn’t say no to some harmless fun. After it was loaded onto my smartphone, I linked my Facebook profile to the app and was instantly a full blown addict. Was I living under a rock?
If you haven’t heard about Tinder, it’s high time you catch on the flame. This app will change your love game forever and it’ll possibly help you pull off successful digital love-fueled one night stands from the comfort of your own smartphone. It’s a win-win, isn’t it? Let me enlighten you on how it works.
Upon opening the app, you’ll see a little radar function that’d eventually track a whole bunch of different people located nearby and that’s when you can start swiping away. If you think he’s hot, swipe to your right. Not your cup of tea? Swipe left. What’s so great about this app is that it only connects the two of you if and only if both of you are also interested. After you’ve gone on a swiping spree, the app will notify you if you have new matches and consequently, you’ll be allowed to chat with the other person who also thinks you’re hot. Then, the rest is self-explanatory!
The app is super user-friendly and any tech noobie would be able to manoeuvre around its layout. You can also adjust the app settings according to your sexual orientation, the perimeter you’d like the app to search around you and also the ages of people you may be interested in. This means that you can control the app to display only people who would possibly fit your fancy and avoid wasting your time on swiping away profiles of creepy old men. But hey, if that’s what you’re into, by all means, my friend.
Don’t Tinder way too much though! If not, this dreaded message will show up.
THE HORROR. Unfortunately, the user base in Malaysia isn’t that aplenty and the app will one day run out of people to show you. Perhaps I’ve just been swiping way too much.
After two weeks on the app, I guess you can say that I’ve experienced the good and the ugly. While I would never use it with the intent to hook up with random strangers, I got to know a few interesting guys and may or may not have met some of them off the app for some drinks on my recent bar hop adventure, shall we say. 😉
On the other hand, I’ve also resulted to blocking a handful of freaks on the app who, crudely, initiated conversations by insinuating sex. Believe it or not, one guy went: “I think you would look good on my c***.” Sorry guys, I ain’t going to tolerate any of that nonsense. If you ever get hooked on the app, just be smart about it.
Now, just to give you a heads up, here are some tips you should know if you’re just starting out with Tinder.
1. Never message immediately after you’ve been notified about a match – You’d look like you’re trying too hard and you’d look less appealing. Wait at least one to two hours after being notified about a match, then initiate a regular conversation. Better yet, wait until they text you first!
2. Play it cool – Don’t be too persistent and play it cool. If you’re looking to hook up, no one’s going to fall for your tricks when you can’t even hold a regular mature conversation. If you’re just looking for some company online, that’s great. Just be yourself and see where it takes you. Please do not use cheesy pick up lines over an app, they DON’T work.
3. Never release any personal information about yourself – Be very wary of who you choose to talk to and be wise about it. Never release any personal information about yourself to the other person and even if you’ve decided to meet up with him or her for the first time, use Tinder’s messenger to inform one another about where to meet. You can never be too careful.
4. Slow down – With Tinder, there are no do-overs. Don’t get too excited and swipe way too fast because you can never turn back if you accidentally swipe left on some super hot guy you missed. Vice versa, if your friends fool around with your phone and swipe right on men who have cartoon characters on their profile photo, you can’t undo it. That’s the beauty of Tinder.
5. Don’t drink and Tinder – It’s never a good idea to go on Tinder when you’ve been drinking. You may say something utterly stupid, give him your full name and number, initiate one night stands you’re unaware of, or worse still, unconsciously invite him over to wherever you’ve been partying. Just FYI, avoid the app at all costs if you’re under the influence of alcohol.
Good luck and have fun, girls!
LIPSTIQ participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites.
© 2020 Vijandren Ramadass. All Rights Reserved.