6 Ingredients You Should Be Adding Into Your Smoothies
Smoothies are all the rage as more people are getting into eating clean and healthy. If you don’t like eating fruits and vegetables, having smoothies is a great way to ensure that your body gets all the good stuff it needs. We prefer smoothies over green juices because nothing goes to waste and they are extra filling, which makes them great breakfast replacements. We’ve listed some of our favourite ingredients below, so do check those out. We’re not saying that these are the only ingredients you should be adding into your smoothie, but these ingredients sure would provide your body with the additional nutrients it needs!
1. Lemon – Who can deny the powers of the humble lemon?! Instead of only adding the juice, we love adding slices of lemon into our smoothies with the zest and all as its most powerful nutrients lies in the skin of the fruit. Lemon supports weight loss, aids indigestion, balances your body’s pH levels, protects your immune system with vitamin C and prevents kidney stones from forming. Need we say more?
2. Coconut water – Instead of water or milk, why not add coconut water into your power-packed drink? It’s cooling, refreshing, tastes good, hydrates your body and is filled with electrolytes. It also facilitates digestion, helps with weight loss and reduces blood pressure. Having a hangover? Coconut water is your best friend!
3. Ginger – A little ginger goes a long way and a small nib in your smoothie is all you need. Ginger will give your smoothie an added zing and in case you didn’t already know, ginger is an antidote to many common illnesses such as colds and flu, nausea, indigestion, joint pain, sore throat and bad appetite. Eating ginger on its own can be too pungent for some, so adding it with other ingredients in your smoothie would mask its strong flavour.
4. Kombucha – This naturally carbonated, fermented tea gives you a boost of energy, increases your metabolism rate, is rich in vitamins and enzymes, detoxifies your system and boosts your immune system to protect you from illnesses. Many celebrities also swear by drinking kombucha for beauty and health benefits. If you often suffer from very bad period cramps, kombucha will relieve your pain!
5. Avocad0 – When your avocado gets too ripe, throw them in your smoothies for that extra creamy texture. Besides being a fantastic source of vitamins and minerals, the good fat content in the avocado will give you great skin and helps with weight loss. These monounsaturated fatty acids will also be used as slow burning energy, so you’ll be full for longer.
6. Berries – We cannot say enough good things about berries. Whether you prefer strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or raspberries, the high antioxidant content in these power fruits will prevent early ageing in your skin and promote healthy-looking skin. Besides that, berries will keep your brain mentally sharp at all times and protects your body from cancer, Alzheimer’s, urinary tract infections, high blood pressure and Parkinson’s. Add this into your smoothies for natural sweetness.