A plethora of superfoods are quickly gaining foodie street cred, and one of these superfoods is the Instagram-worthy smoothie bowl. Unlike regular smoothies, these nutrient-packed smoothie bowls have more texture, are more decadent and are generally more fun to eat. With loads of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals for glowing skin and an energy boost, there are endless possibilities when it comes to these smoothie bowls and we’re about to show you some yummy combinations.
Essentially, this smoothie has a thick, smooth soft serve-like consistency, and this is achieved by blending frozen fruits with other ingredients, but keeping the water content in control to maintain its thickness. Pop your smoothie into a bowl and go crazy with your toppings for extra flavour and texture, just like how you enjoy ice-cream. Instead of simply throwing in the toppings, we love arranging them neatly on top of the smoothie for the ultimate, envy-inducing Instagram photo. 😉
Here are five recipes you can try:
1. Chocolate peanut butter – Smoothie: Half cup rice milk, 4 bananas (2 frozen), 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 8 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, 8 dates, Toppings: Sliced banana, desiccated coconut, chopped dark chocolate, peanuts and sesame seeds.
2. Super green smoothie bowl with matcha and ginger – Smoothie: 1 cup rolled oats, 2 teaspoons chia seeds, 1 cup coconut milk, 1/2 ripe avocado, thumb-sized fresh ginger roughly chopped, 1 cup frozen mango, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 teaspoon green tea powder, Toppings: Raspberries, coconut flakes, granola
3. Antioxidant smoothie bowl – Smoothie: 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1/2 cup almond milk, Toppings: Fresh banana, berries, chia seeds, coconut flakes, pomegranate seeds
4. Dragonfruit smoothie bowl – Smoothie: 1 cup frozen mango, 1 cup frozen pineapple, 1 cup frozen dragonfruit, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1/2 kiwi, 1/2 cup almond milk, Toppings: Granola, sliced fresh fruit
5. Blue morning smoothie bowl – 1 frozen banana, 1 frozen zucchini, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 2 tablespoons nut butter (any nut will do), 1 teaspoon spirulina, salt, a pinch of cinnamon, Toppings: Goji berries, fresh figs, raspberries, coconut flakes, cocoa nibs
Now, start experimenting with different ingredients and see which combo tastes the best! We also like topping the smoothie bowls off with our favourite cereal, flax seeds, crushed digestives, almond nibs, mint leaves and more. 😉