OMG.. A vanilla-scented Bath & Body Works 3-wick candle reportedly exploded in a Texan woman’s face and we’re hoping that this would act as a PSA for all you candle-burners out there.

Ashley Brawley saw that the flame on her candle was getting out of control and she walked over to blow it out. The flame flared instead of extinguishing, giving her first- and second-degree burns all over her forehead, cheek, nose and lip.

Her husband Cody tried to shut down the flame with water, only for it to grow even bigger. He then grabbed the candle with oven mitts in attempt to hose it down outside when it exploded into pieces.

The CCTV in their home showed that the candle was burning for about 3 hours and 20 minutes, which does not exceed the candle’s burn time of 3 to 4 hours.

Bath & Body Works has also released a statement, “We are very sorry that this happened and are taking this situation extremely seriously. The safety of our customers is our number-one priority, and we are actively working to learn more details from the customer.”

Yes, candles do make our home smell nice and feel cosy, but it’s always good to take precautionary measures when lighting, and extinguishing, one.

[Source 1, 2]

Carmen Chong
YouTube-obsessed and a beauty junkie at heart. Find her on Instagram: @carthemen