As women, we’re often guilty for not changing our tampons or sanitary pads as often as we should, but after reading about what happened to American model Lauren Wasser, you might want to consider turning over a new leaf and making it a habit.

5 years ago, she was diagnosed with Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) after leaving a tampon inside of her for too long, which left both her legs being consumed by gangrene. Lauren’s condition resulted in a below-the-knee amputation of her right leg and while doctors advised on amputation for her other leg, the 29-year-old decided to go for toe amputations to save her left leg.

However, that wasn’t the end of her battle with TSS. The young model was left with inabilities, and her model career was at risk. Besides that, Lauren struggles from constant excruciating pain on her surviving leg that is now left with “an open ulcer, no heel, and no toes,” she revealed in a recent interview.

It has been a continuous struggle between the body and brain as Lauren’s body continued producing calcium to make up for her missing toes to grow back. The only solution for that is to undergo further surgeries to shave the bone down. Yet, it still isn’t a permanent solution and as a result, Lauren is about to lose her second leg.

Keeping a positive attitude through it all, Lauren confessed, “In a few months, I’m inevitably going to have my other leg amputated. There’s nothing I can do about it. But what I can do is help make sure that this doesn’t happen to others”.

The model’s inspiring battle with TSS got her striving for the best in the modelling industry and now an actress cum activist, Lauren dedicates her time and effort to raising awareness for TSS prevention, including the potential risks of using tampons and advocating to impose strict laws toward the safety of female hygiene products.

TSS starts off with common symptoms like a high fever, low blood pressure, vomiting, confusion and seizures which eventually left Lauren culminated in a heart attack and on life support. Although rare, TSS could be life-threatening when the infection invades the bloodstream and produces dangerous toxins.

So ladies, we should really be more careful. Alternatively, consider using a menstrual cup or sanitary pads instead.

[Source 12]

Krystle Wong
A girl of caffeine and good reads, of food hunting adventures and revealing thoughts through words.